‘Tis the season. Online shopping increases, and delivery of those packages on your doorstep is more common. Thieves know that. They follow delivery trucks and look for opportunities to take your purchases from your doorstep.
What can you do?
- Have your packages delivered to a location they can be received in person, such as a neighbor or relative’s house.
- If the retailer offers the option, select a delivery time when you know someone is home.
- Consider having the package delivered to the store for pick-up.
- Take advantage of delivery alerts so you can be notified when your package arrives, and ask a trusted neighbor to retrieve your package.
- You can request delivery instructions that allow your package to be out of sight from the road.
- USPS, FedEx, and UPS all offer a service to hold your package at their facility, letting you decide when to pick it up.
- Security webcams from your front door.
Be a good neighbor. If you see someone suspicious on your neighbors property, call the police immediately, and provide good witness information.